Calgary Dentist — As Christmas is fast approaching, you naturally want to be prepared and have everything ready for the special day. Whether it be what you’re going to wear, what gifts to give your family and friends, or plans on where and how to celebrate Christmas this year especially since we’re still pretty much in the middle of a pandemic.
Because of that, a lot of celebrations this year are for sure going to be on the more intimate side with fewer people. With all that is happening around you, one thing that you should not forget about is your oral hygiene, particularly your breath. More so now that we are often required to wear masks and bad breath behind masks is usually highlighted or emphasized.
It can be a serious pain and a cause of embarrassment for a lot of people. Don’t let this issue affect or ruin your holidays. Good thing you still have a few more days to fix and treat this oral hygiene issue! You can always visit us at Inglewood Family Dental, a Calgary dentist Downtown, for a consultation and treatment. Continue reading to learn more about bad breath or halitosis and how to get rid of it.
What are the causes of bad breath or halitosis?
Bad breath is characterized by an unpleasant odour of the mouth. It is a simple oral problem that your affordable Calgary dentist can fix. Halitosis, however, is a bit more serious because it is a lasting or chronic bad breath with a very powerful odour that can be caused by growing bacteria in your mouth. Bad breath can also be caused by the following:
- Poor dental hygiene
- Dry mouth
- Oral infections
- Gum disease
- Effects of some medication
- Consumption of foods with an unpleasant odour
How to get rid of bad breath?
Get rid of bad breath and ensure fresher breath especially in preparation for the coming holidays by observing the following:
1. Practice proper dental hygiene diligently to remove food particles from your mouth. Don’t forget to floss and brush your tongue.
2. Try using a tongue scraper to better clean your tongue. It’s where a lot of the odour comes from.
3. Drink lots and lots of water. Keep yourself hydrated at all times. Dry mouth can cause bacteria to accumulate on your tongue, gums, and the inside of your cheeks. By drinking enough water, you ensure that your saliva is produced at an optimal rate. Saliva helps neutralize the acids produced by plaque and wash away the odour-causing bacteria.
4. Make wise targeted diet changes. Eat fibre-rich fruit and vegetables like apples, oranges, carrots, and celery. Carrot and celery also are full of water and vitamin C which help kill odour-causing bacteria. Avoid foul-smelling foods, as well as coffee, soda, and alcoholic drinks because those are bad breath triggers.
5. Keep sugarless gums or mints inside your pocket. Chewing on sugarless gum helps keep breath fresh because it stimulates the flow of saliva and we all know that saliva helps flush away bacteria.
6. Rinse with a fluoride anti-cavity mouthwash.
7. Try to avoid smoking.
To truly get rid of your bad breath, it is important to know what’s causing your breath to smell bad in the first place. Visit Inglewood Family Dental, a Calgary dentist Downtown, and our dental professionals will examine your mouth to determine the cause and offer a treatment plan that will help get rid of your bad breath.
We are confident that we can help you obtain a fresher breath that will surely make you enjoy the holiday season better! Contact our office today at (403) 265-5888 to request an appointment! We offer a wide variety of dental services such as routine check-ups and cleanings, restorative care, preventative care, orthodontic treatments, and so much more.